Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pregasaurus: The Morphing Mommy Dinosaur

Enjoy this little auditory treat while catching up on our exciting news. :)


Well, the secret's out! I'm PREGNANT! Or perhaps I should say "We're pregnant." While waiting for our second ultrasound, Matt made the mistake of looking through the Fatherhood section of What to Expect When You're Expecting. When offered a frosty adult beverage, the book advised him to say "No thanks, we're expecting!" HAH! If any pregnant women (who are not raging alcoholics) do this to their men... I think they've got to have a screw loose.

Anyway, back to the news! We found out JUST before our 4 day Rome getaway, JUST before Thanksgiving. We called close family to let them know we had a little something extra to be thankful for this year. :) We had a wonderful time in Rome and I felt great! A little tired, and a little hungry... but great! I couldn't help but think perhaps this pregnancy thing was going to be a breeze!

HAH! (Again.) By the time we got back from Rome it seemed I was sleeping more than I was awake. I was exhausted! I also was starting to notice a ravenous hunger that hit me about every 2 hours. A hunger that when not taken care of promptly, would turn into a mean nauseousness. This vicious cycle of sleep, find something to eat that doesn't look disgusting, try not to think about the food you just ate that now sounds disgusting, sleep, try to get something done, try not to get mad about something stupid, try not to cry about something stupid, eat something else, try to avoid the smells of the kitchen...etc. continued for what seemed much too long. I frequently told Matt that I was SO tired of feeling like poo. I told my mom that it was like that movie Groundhog Day where he keeps waking up and everything is the same. Just get through the day and you can go to sleep again at night and hope the next day won't be the exact same. :)

Our first ultrasound on December 17th gave me the first glimpse that all of this was really happening and that all my sickness and fatigue was worth it. The little "gummy bear" as Matt described it, didn't look like much, but the doctor said it was a lil fetus that was growing right on schedule. Oh, and scheduling my end of the first trimester appointment for January 18th gave me a "light at the end of the tunnel" to push towards. I would feel better. I just had to! My blog readers were waiting! ;)
Slowly, day by day I started to feel better. I went from feeling crappy every day, to feeling stinky only 3 days a week. Progress! When our second ultrasound at 13 weeks came around, we were both anxious and nervous to see that everything was still going okay. What was the baby going to look like? Was it going to be okay? The doc squirted the cool jelly on my tummy and as soon as he got the camera focused on the baby's profile, the lil guy/gal flung itself into the air, arms flailing. It settled back down at the bottom of my uterus and then, seconds later, it did the same maneuver! Matt laughed, I laughed, my belly shook, and the doctor lost focus of the image. We were so surprised to see that the baby was SO active considering I couldn't feel a thing! "Is it hiccuping?" Matt asked. The doctor basically explained that the lil one was just swimming around in a dark warm cave, trying to keep itself entertained. :) The baby was still growing on schedule and I had survived my first trimester. What an amazing day.
So that brings us to now! I'm just about 14 weeks and I'm feeling much better! KNOCK ON WOOD, but I've really only been nauseous when I don't keep myself fed. An empty stomach is the devil's best friend. ;) I am still in most of my clothes, although the Bella Band (which came highly recommended) is helping to keep some of my now TIGHT,tight jeans hanging on. Yesterday I woke up, got dressed and managed to catch my profile in the mirror. WHOA! Where did THAT thing come from? That stomach was NOT there last night when I went to bed! :) SO, of course I had Matt take a few pictures to document that monumental moment as well.
I will continue to keep you updated on my journey through pregoland and of course, how pregoland affects our vida fanastica!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for you both!!! But darn, you waited long enough to let the err baby out of the bag! haha. We miss you gusy so much and wish you the very best. Keep us posted! Do you want to know the sex or be surprised?

    ReplyDelete