Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Sunday, April 11, 2010

La Catedral de Sevilla



Matthew and I took the train to Sevilla for the day on Saturday. I immediately fell in love with the city. The streets, many of which are lined with orange trees, smell fantastic this time of year because all of the trees are in bloom. There were SO many photo ops just walking through the streets that within minutes I decided I would just enjoy the views and not worry about taking photos of the town. Next time :)
We made our way through the tiny winding streets to the old district where we knew we would find the Cathedral. Matt and I were very excited to see the Cathedral and Christopher Colombus' tomb inside, but we had no idea we'd be spending a majority of the day there. The church is absolutely enormous and it seems to go on and on. I think I could go there 15 more times and still manage to miss some of the details and history. I uploaded all of my cathedral photos to Facebook, but I will share some of my favorite parts here. My 3 favorite parts of the Cathedral:




1. The details. Building something as grand as this church hundreds and hundreds of years ago would have been hard enough. Can you imagine the time it took to create the DETAILS. I couldn't sculpt ONE face let alone the 50 or so that covered the ceiling in this one room. I LOVED the details. Especially those in the ceilings.




2. The stained glass windows. Gorgeous. I even went to the gift shop after hoping to find a set of photos of the windows. They are just breath taking. Alas, no soup. No photos of the windows, so I will have to return and take pictures of them all myself. :) This last round window was easily the most beautiful stained glass i've ever seen.



3. The view. I was getting a bit tired of the dark cathedral and I was ready to move back outside to the brightly colored streets of Sevilla. (I kept begging matt to go to the orange tree courtyard.) BUT he convinced me to do ONE last thing which was wait in line to climb the bell tower. I told him we could do it next time we come. He wasn't having it. I'm so glad he made me climb it because it was definitely one of the highlights of our visit. The view from the top of the windy tower was beautiful and winding up the ramp to get to the top was something out of a movie.

Can't wait to return. SO much to do in such a wonderful city.

No comments:

Post a Comment