Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Monday, April 12, 2010

POD "Hungry yet?"



Well, are you hungry yet? No? Well you must be now after seeing this delicious bowl of goodness! Check out my lunch from Friday. YUMMMMM right? These lil guys are called caracoles in Spanish. AKA snails. They are only good to eat this time of the year (spring time) and so right now ALL the restaurants and bars are featuring them. I have been hesitant to try them on my own, but on Friday I went to lunch with my Spanish partner. We ate at a local bar on a tiny side street in Rota: Bar Palma. Anyway, I felt alot more confident about trying these little guys with a local who knows where to order the "best" caracoles. They are served steaming in a hot broth with a very special spice used only with caracoles. "How do I buy this spice," I asked her. "Go to the store and ask for the caracole spice," she said. :)
They really weren't too bad. Sort of like clams or mussels. You just can't think about what you're eating. Oh, and you can't look at their sad little frowning faces either. :) I must say, i'm actually excited to try escargot in France after trying these. The snails themselves aren't bad, I just wasn't a big fan of the broth/spice. So, escargot is normally served with a garlic, parsley butter. What's not to love about that combo!



Oh, I almost forgot. How do you eat them? Just pick the shell up with your hand, put the little guy to your mouth, bite and pull him out of the shell. You may have to suck a little too, because it's a little embarrasing when you pull him out and he flops down outside your lip. ;)
I knew you'd be hungry after reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment