Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Sunday, April 25, 2010

POD "MUST SEE Birthday Surprise!"

SOOOOOOO long story short, my dad and I have been planning a SUPER surprise for my mom for MONTHS now. For those of you who DON'T know, my mom is turning the big 5-0 in early May. The same weekend as Mother's day actually. (Yes, she usually gets jipped.) WELL, NOT THIS YEAR!!! My dad and I have been planning for her birthday a SUPER TOP SECRET surprise trip home from Spain to Maine. We had NO idea how we were going to pull it off, but whatever it took, we were going to make it happen. Being military, I am so so so fortunate that I am able to fly a military hop (flight) home to the United States for free IFFFFF there is space available on the plane. So last night, after telling my mother that I would be attending a Pampered Chef party, I checked in at the airport not knowing WHEN I would be able to catch a flight, or to WHERE in the US. I was lucky enough to get on the first flight, landing SO close to home in Springfield, Mass. I was picked up by Matt's sister Dani, and spent a glorious night there.

The next part of this oh-so-covert operation, involved a call to my dad (ON his WORK CELL) this morning at 5AM, letting him know that I had caught a flight and that I could meet him in Worcester, Mass. Unfortunately, my mother heard MOST of this conversation on my dad's excessively loud cell phone. Thankfully, he thought incredibly quick on his feet, and he made up some story about having to go in for work because an irrigation system was "whacked" (his words, not mine) and the COMPANY who designed the sprinkler system had to come ALL the way in from Worcester. Nice work dad. So, as you now all know, he did NOT go to work, he hopped on the road, and cruised the 2+ hours to pick me up outside Worcester. It gets better people.

The whole way home, we schemed what would be the best way to surprise her and worried whether or not she had caught on to our mischevious ways. We finally made a decision and went with it. Dad dropped me off half way up the driveway and drove up the rest of the way himself. (Returning from work, supposedly). I, sneakily climbed the rest of the driveway, (special opps style... ready to do one of those ground rolls at any given moment) hoping to avoid being seen and/or causing the dogs to bark. Upon reaching the house, I slithered to the window (picture the grinch who stole Christmas), and proceded to tap, tap, tap on the window with nose a small wolf figurine, all the while, keeping my identity undisclosed. (Why the wolf? That is a WHOLE Other blog, but if you're lucky, you'll get a picture of this beautiful creature soon.) Well, mother spotted the unmistakable wolf, who had last been seen in Rota, Spain, and wondered how on earth had Trevor (my brother) gotten ahold of the now Spanish wolf. Upon coming outside the deck doors, and rounding the corner of the house, Mother dear discovered that OH NOOOOO it was not Trevor, but a Spanish Senorita fresh off the boat. Here is her face upon discovering this forigner on her porch.

Notice the profound confusion in her face. It took her probably 5 minutes to really come to terms with the fact that I was in Maine, and NOT as my facebook page update said... enjoying the Spanish beach. :)


MUAHAHAHAHAHA we have succeeded in STUMPING her. Clow special ops strikes again. Happy 50th birthday, mom! Hope it's everything you wished it would be and MORE! :)

2 comments:

  1. Tristin - I love this! Your Mom must be so happy to have you home, even if it's just for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah i LOVE that face, that's hilarious :) what an awesome surprise!!!

    ReplyDelete