Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Sunday, May 23, 2010

El mercadito y Jerez de la Frontera :)

So today, I BRAVELY decided I'd venture off to Jerez in hopes of finding a flea market I heard about yesterday. I've been told it occurs every Sunday, but I really have NO idea what it's all about and even LESS of an idea how to get there considering Matt has our GPS with him in Germany. With my old school printed google maps/directions I packed up and headed to Jerez. Getting to Jerez is no issue, but once in the city, it only took two poorly marked rotaries and I had NO idea where I was. I gave up on my directions and I decided to just go with the little information I DID have and hope there'd be signs. If I couldn't find it, atleast I tried!

Suddenly, I rounded a corner and THERE IT WAS! AND, there was parking RIGHT Below the plaza!!! Me in the parking garage VERY excited to have found el mercadito:

The market was amazing! Lots of great junk, lots of random yard saleish stuff, some art AND some antiques! I strolled around for a while, talking in spanish, taking photos and getting some prices before I made any purchases. The day was BEAUTIFUL and I just enjoyed the views from the plaza.





I walked away with a handmade set of earrings, a small handpainted morrocan table and a TEN EURO original watercolor of spanish rooftops. :) The artist was painting right there and he was SO nice. I was bummed to find out from him that today was the last day of the market until it cools off again in September. Ah well, I will return and see what new work he completes this summer.

After the market, I decided to grab a snack! I chose to sit outdoors and enjoy the views in this big plaza.
There was fountain, a carousel, lots of people to watch and cold cerveza. :) Perfecto!

I tried gazpacho for the first time.

Although it was very refreshing and the fresh veggies were crisp, I couldn't quite get past the "zing" it had. It almost seemed fermented a tad. I tried to ask the waiter in spanish if the "zing" was normal. He proceded to tell me how they use the freshest tomatoes, best olive oils and finest vinegars there. I guess that means it was normal? I didn't know how to tell him that when food starts "zinging," we Americans know it's time to toss it. ;)

Anyway, my chaffed thighs still could handle more (damn skirts) so I opted for a bit of exploring in el centro de la cuidad (the city center) before heading back to my car.

That is a small alleyway!
These gargoyles have seen better days.




What a gorgeous day in a highly underrated town. One more treat before I hit the road! :)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! What a gorgeous day!! Wish we were all there to shop with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were there too Aunt Judy! Alicia... simmer down... the twists must come out this time of year.

    ReplyDelete