Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

POD "Flat Fish"


So, my spanish partner, Rocio and I were walking the streets of Rota yesterday after enjoying some English and a delicious tropical juice in the sunshine. I told her that before heading back to my car, I wanted to stop by the fish market to see what they've caught for the day, prices...etc. I told her that if I found a good swordfish steak or Marrajo I would have to immediately get going, because the fish probably wouldn't taste too good if I continued to carry it along with me in the 75 degree heat for another 2 hours. Fish and sun... not a good mix. Right? Wait for it... irony coming your way in 3...2...1...
After scanning the rows of fish, I didn't see anything jumping out at me so we left empty handed and headed back to our cars. We rounded the side of the fish market and WHAT do I see??? THIS!!!


Hanging fish carcasses just blowing and spinning in the wind like laundy on a line. "OMG WHAT ARE THOSE!!! I excitedly asked Rocio. Of course they were fish that had been hacked in half and spread open like rug, but WHY?! She proceeded to laugh, but then tell me how delicious those were going to taste with a cold beer. I was like "WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?!" Oh yes, there is a name for these mcNasty fish and once they have dried and been salted to the perfect rot, they will be served in small bite sized pieces as a snack.

Great with a beer. RIGHT! Now, I am all up for trying things, but nothing about these fish hanging on a rope outside the back doors of the market says sanitary and safe to eat. At this point I pulled out my camera and started taking pictures. Hopefully the fisherman standing outside having a smoke didn't mind. On a side note, somewhere between my photo flashes and "you've got to be kidding me!"s I learned how to ask "Am I embarrasing you?" in Spanish. Haha poor Rocio. Too bad I was SO excited about these crazy dead hanging fish that I don't remember how to ask it. AH well, until the next time I embarrass my dear, local amiga. :)

2 comments:

  1. It´s called Mojama, and it´s a very good tapa with a cold beer. Don´t worry I wasn´t embarrased... I know that it is very curious. I like show you things about Rota and Spain.. I love it!!!! See you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mojama! I must remember this! Someday, when I am feeling VERY brave (valiente) I will try mojama with a beer! Of course, I won't try it anywhere. You will have to show me the best place to eat it! ;)

    ReplyDelete