Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Monday, September 6, 2010

POD "Bird or Bug?"

Yesterday while Matt and I were out and about running errands, we decided to swing downtown Rota for some chocos fritos & cazon en adobo (Spain's version of fried seafood!) While Matt was taking a few euros out of the cajero automatico (ATM) I spotted this ... thing... buzzing around a beautiful bush near me. I'd seen one of these whiz by me before, but I've never been able to get a close look at it.


Watching it zig zag around I was convinced this was some rare species of hummingbird. Buzzing all over the place, not staying in one spot longer than 2 seconds, it took me (and Matt) about 40 shots to catch it on camera! Matt laughed when I told him it was a hummingbird. He said that it was some sort of moth or insect. Well... what is it? Is it a Bird... or a Bug?
..................................

It's BOTH! ;) Just kidding. I had to figure out what this cute little critter was, so I did a little research when I got home. It's a Hummingbird Moth. It moves JUST like a hummingbird and eats a lot like a hummingbird, but it's a moth!

Found this slowed down video footage of the hummingbird moth on youtube. Don't mind the corny music. Seriously... I HATE when people take good footage and put it to worlds dorkiest music. Anyway, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment