Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Friday, September 3, 2010

SPANISH BULLFIGHTS: An essay (with pictures of course)

Consider this past week a blog-cation. Perhaps it was the addition of a few hours a day at my new part time job at the school, or perhaps it was just knowing that I wouldn't be able to complete this particular post with a few minutes of plunking on the keyboard. I'd need some serious time to carefully make a decision and put down my thoughts on Spanish Bullfights. Either way, the week went by without a post. So, let's just say I took a blog-cation. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and La Vida Fantastica, OH how I have missed you. :)

As promised... it's time to discuss... SPANISH BULLFIGHTS!

Last Sunday night, Matt and I went with another American couple to our first corrida de toros (bullfight). Our friends had been to more than one fight in the past and really enjoyed them, so they were perfect companions in our semi-hesitant states.

I was nervous. I actually couldn't believe how nervous I was. I had knots in my stomach, not knowing what to expect or what I was going to see. I remember reading a little about bullfights in school, and I remember wondering how such cruel and unusual animal treatment could still go on in today's times. After arriving in Spain, I heard and read even more on this ancient spanish tradition. Everything told me... "Tristin, this is NOT something you're going to want to see." HOWEVER, I am a sucker for new experiences and cultural activities. There may come a day when bull fights ARE in fact banned (the debates have been going on for years). I decided that if I never drove the 5 minutes to the closest bullring to see just ONE fight while we were here... well... then I was missing out on atleast KNOWING. JUST ONE. I could always close my eyes.

Arriving at the plaza de toros (bullring) I was surprised to see how OLD it was! DUH Tristin. No but really, I can't believe they haven't change ANYTHING over the years! (We donated 2euros to the Red Cross so that we could borrow a cushion to soften the concrete steps you sit on.)
The ring was verrrry quiet because it was just a night of "Novedades" aka novices aka tiny little 19 year olds. Were it a big name Matador, the ring would be packed... even the sol side. Anyone smart who doesn't want to die of heat stroke heads for la sombra. You probably can't tell by the photo but 90% of the women in this crowd are fanning themselves with their brightly colored spanish fans (that of COURSE match their outfits).Thankfully, my friend let me borrow hers. :)

The President of the bull ring takes his seat and the trumpet kicks off the paseíllo. The band starts up and all the participants of the bullfight parade into the arena and salute the presiding president. Pretty sure these are the gents that will be awarding any matadors with an outstanding performance. There is a long line of people involved in the fight, but last in line are... the TOREROS aka bullfighters! You can recognize them by their gold traje de luces or "suit of lights." (Thank you wikipedia.) There is some parading around the ring, some stretching, and then it's go time. The first bull is announced, and he's just a small one. They save the 1200+ pounders for the big-timers.
At this point, I'm going to leave out the details, since you can read them yourselves on wiki. I'm going to tell you how I felt about this whole ordeal, but I'll share some photos first. Don't worry. I refrained from even TAKING any photos that I felt were too graphic, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.





The crowd pulls out their white handkerchiefs pleading with the president to award the torero an ear for his well fought fight. Not only was he injured, but the bull's death was quick.
Two handkerchiefs means TWO ears! And the crowd goes wild!!!
A torero thanking the crowd after his victorious fight.
The toreros happened to be outside the ring after the fight and I got a picture!
What can I say about my first corrida de toros? It was... good... and bad??? First of all, I am SO happy that I went and experienced it myself rather than just hearing about it. I'd say about 95% of the publicity bullfighting gets is very negative, so it's good to be able to form my own opinion. Secondly, I will tell you that it was much easier to watch than I thought it would be. Yes, it was bloody and parts of it were gruesome. And YES, I covered my eyes a few times. BUT, before seeing this fight, I was unaware of how much technique and training went into trying to kill the bull as precisely and quickly as possible. Each bull was in the ring for 15 minutes or less and probably two-thirds of that time was spent on the torero's grand performance, tiring the bull with his cape. The bull is not intended to suffer greatly and the crowd is NOT pleased when the matador doesn't make sure of this.

If you are a PETA member, a vegetarian, or one with a queasy stomach... stay away. Stay very far away. I understand, and I respect why you would want such a tradition banned. However, if you are not one of the above, and you are in Southern Spain, and you do NOT go see one of these things... you are missing out. Watching any animal die is not fun, but I had to remind myself that we live in a world of meat-eaters. Cows, upon cows, upon cows die everyday in slaughter houses. We just don't have to see it. Not to MENTION that most of us don't know (and don't want to know) the details surrounding their lives and deaths. Let me just tell you, that I have SEEN these bulls roaming the fields that overlook the ocean, and I'm pretty sure they've got it better than 90% of the cows in the US.

I enjoyed the bullfight because I learned, frankly, it's not as gruesome as I thought it was. I enjoyed it because it was an experience RICH in history and culture. I've gone, and I could even go again... but let's just say I won't be buying season tickets for next year. :)

4 comments:

  1. verryyy interesting... hmm, so many conflicting thoughts! i think i'd come out with the same opinion as you though... although, i think i would feel guilty watching the bull die as part of a game almost? like... seems like it's more cruel because it's made into a spectacle and the bull has no idea whats going on... i dont know.. I'm sure they eat the meat and have a big feast, etc, but.. I think I would go watch it once, but would probably feel so guilty that i watched the bull die for entertainment. But you're right, I'd say they live way better than OVER 90% of cows in the US. So.. I guess I should feel 100 times more guilty about eating at McDonald's then watching a bullfight!

    Anyway, great pictures.. LOVE LOVE LOVE your friend's fan!! What an awesome picture :-) Not sure if you're into fashion at all, but I started a new blog: www.StyleALaEclectica.blogspot.com

    Since I always love your outfits and since you're living in Spain where their fashion-sense seems innate, maybe one of these days I can interview you as a blog post and add some pictures of you and Spain??! (couple that come to the top of my head is your gold dress that you wore to your SeaBees ball thing?? (spelling??) and that picture you took of the Spanish dresses in the window... the flouncy, flamenco ones?? I think?)

    Anyway! Thanks for reminding me to read this post ;)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Jen! Yes, the bulls are shipped immediately to a butcher shop by refridgerated truck from the bull ring.

    I will check out that blog and become a fan for sure! I LOVE style... I just cant always afford what I want. So I have to opt for "affordable fashion" :) I'm always up for helping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this blog, all the pictures has been increasing my curiosity about Spain, because is one of the best countries in Europe and I'm going to formulate my next trip to get a similar experience. 23jj

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this site, it's so important to know more about this topic, keep it up and of course every time I have time I'll love to check out again

    ReplyDelete