Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Sunday, August 29, 2010

An Evening in Puerto & the Casa Flores Review

Last night, Matt and I headed out into el Puerto de Santa Maria for an adult beverage, good dinner, and just to enjoy a gorgeous Spanish summer Saturday night.

We decided to splurge a tad and try the hoity-toity Casa Flores. The vino blanco del casa (house white) was DE-lish, the lobster soup was yummy, and our meats were cooked to perfection. BUT... did we over pay for traditional Spanish food? Most Americans would say yes upon seeing that 20$ meals still come served with french fries! I say yes... and no. Yeah it was pricey, but you've got to understand that you're paying for ambiance and service too. The camareros (waiters) were significantly more prompt and attentive than the laid-back "I make salary" servers you tend to encounter in other establishments. On the other hand, some of the dishes on the carta (menu) can probably be found in a similar fashion for a lower price at other mesons, parrillas, restaurantes... etc. SO, I say that over paying at Casa Flores depends a bit upon what you order. Go with the veal, leg of lamb, lobster, or high-end fish dishes to get your euros' worth.

After dinner, we did decided the night was still young. :) I love the outdoor evening markets, so I dragged Matt along for a little shopping. I'm always a sucker for the African goods.
We ended a fabulous night with a couple games of darts and gelato. I'd love to say that I beat Matt, but it was just embarrassing. Last night was NOT my night for cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment