Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Seabee Ball 2010... just different.


Last night was the Seabee Ball. It was our first ball here in Spain, and I just couldn't get over how different this ball felt. I couldn't believe it was March, and I was wearing a sleeveless dress outside in a courtyard at 6pm sipping on Manzanilla (type of sherry made about 20 minutes from us in Sanlucar). I LOVED our seabee balls in Great Lakes, but March in Northern Illinois (on the water) is a bit nippy! I will admit it was also wonderful to be able to catch a bus to/from the ball so that no one had to worry about driving. By the way, have you ever noticed how BOUNCY bus driver seats are? I have a tendency to get sick on buses, but that was only exacerbated when I found myself sitting directly behind the driver watching his seat bounce up and down... up and down. Thank goodness for a short ride. No but seriously, how much MORE fun would buses be if we all had bouncy seats?!

Okay back to the ball. It was a wonderful night. The moment we entered the courtyard there were servers just waiting to greet us and hand us a drink (see picture). Great food. Matt, as usual chose my dinner selection (pork... the Spanish love pig) and it was excellent. (Thank you for not picking fish babes.) I told another person at our dinner table last night JUST how different this ball was than the balls at Great Lakes. There were probably 100 SEABEES at this ball! All jumping around and singing and cheering. Whoda thunk it! Seabees at a seabee ball!
I'm joking around, but what I truly realized last night is that no matter where you go or what you do... things are going to be different. Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage..." Sometimes if you take just one actor, or one prop, or one piece of the set and change it, you have a WHOLE new play. You can never expect it to be the same, so don't be let down when it's not. People have a tendency to view different as either BAD different or GOOD different. But, if you are open minded, accepting and willing to try new things... it doesn't have to be either. It can just be... different. So enjoy your experiences the first time around. Because that EXACT experience can never be replicated. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I keep telling my self that my experiance here is not going to be the same as my last in Kumamoto and that I know it will be different... but like all people I've needed to compare it to something and when what I'm comparing it to was so perfect, well then, this time around will naturally be less than perfect. You reminded me that different is neither good nor bad... just different. I need to take it the way it is!
    bobbi

    ReplyDelete