Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

POD "The Landscape of Southern Spain"


One of my favorite parts of Southern Spain is the variety in the landscape. Just two hours from here you can find yourself driving on roads that curve around and tunnel through the mountains of the Sierra Nevada range. You can find white washed towns set up on cliffs or the enjoy the miles and miles and MILES of beaches, all of them different! Mostly, around us you find beautiful rolling hills and farmland splattered with the occasional pine forest. The farmland though, is like none I've ever seen in the US. I'm sure the US HAS farmland that looks somewhat like this. Maybe in New Mexico or southern California, but I haven't seen it.

I wish I could really capture the beauty of this landscape, but it's so hard. It's more than just a photo. You really have to BE here to take it all in. The different colors, the different flowers, the cacti, the vineyards, even the random deserted falling-in buildings (in my opinion) make this place unique. Not to mention, the landscape changes EVERY season. The large green bushes that line most roads and Spanish highways shocked me at the start of summer when they exploded with flowers, either magenta or white. What were big empty fields when we arrived in the winter became miles of bright, glowing, sunflower fields in late spring. These fields however, have now passed and will soon be harvested for the seeds.

Everytime I drive through the countryside, I find something new and beautiful in the landscape and yet... the next time I go through, it will have changed or be gone completely. It's when I see these things, I am reminded HOW blessed we are to be living here.

The POD today is just a shot I took (from my moving car) hoping to capture one of Rota's small vineyards in the height of summer. Oh, how I adore the landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment