Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Beach Reviews: Conil AKA La Playa Fantastica!!!


Yesterday, Matt and I drove about 45 minutes south to Conil beach. WOW! Cadiz beach is looking worse and worse! Conil was just as great as everyone has said it is. We're going to give it a 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and will definitely be bringing guests back there. We got there a bit late (around noon) so parking (although free) was a bit hard to find. Nevertheless, we were able to get a spot within a short walk from the beach. (Get there early, and there's a big parking lot right along one of the best parts of the beach. We looked there, but no soup. It was full.) This picture of PART of Conil beach was taken from a road that starts along the cliff and then makes its way down along the water. As you can see, there was a BIT of construction/beach work going on, but further down the beach (to the far right) we were not affected where we spent the day.

This extra long, extra wide beach seems to have something for everyone. The cute little town of Conil is RIGHT there and the boardwalk along the beach has all sorts of fun little shops where you can scope out jewelry, dresses, and other fun beach stuff. Since Matt and I had to park a bit further from this main strip of beach, we found a spot to set up in a quieter area. I had already gotten a "birds-eye-view" picture of the beach from the cliff/road where we parked our car, but I wanted another shot taken down ON the beach. I mean, come on, it's important for the blog readers! SO, I took out my camera to snap a few and had only taken one picture when Matt reminded me that a camera on the beach MIGHT not be the best idea.
I had been focused on shooting the beach in the distance and little did I know that in the forefront of what was to be my next picture stood a well endowed topless senorita. Whoops. Yeah, probably should put the camera away, eh?

Anyway, as I was saying, the beach (as do many in Spain) has lots of options for an icy beverage or a savory snack, but still, this wasn't the selling point for Matt and I. What really made this beach extra special was the water!!! The water seemed extra clean and clear and the sand was smooth and just about toe-stubbing/foot slicing free. Most importantly, unlike other Spanish beaches we've gone to, the shore is nice and shallow and deepens very gradually. Matt and I were able to wade pretty far out into the water and play in the waves! Living on a bay, we've forgotten how fun a refreshing a slap in the face by a 3 foot wave can be! How much time did we spend in the water? Let's just say that even today, I still have some water rolling around in my left ear.

On a side note, I finally got a taste of the liberation that many women experience daily on the beaches of Europe. About the 15th time, my bikini top was blasted this way and that by the power of the waves... I gave up. The bikini top CAME OFF! I will however note, that America will be proud, because the moment in which I discarded the useless bikini top was very "NON-european-like" and a lot more "Spring break-girls gone wild-like" as I WHIPPED it off and wildly spun it in the air around my head while giggling and looking at Matthew like "OH SNAP... I DID IT... I'M SO BADASS!!!" :) If you know me, you know that as soon as I retreated back to the beach and left the solitude and coverage of the waves... the top went back on. However, it was progress!!! Bucket list item numero 17: Go topless on a European beach... almost complete!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment