Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Backyard Barnyards

(Photo courtesy of an actual, legit farm)

This morning I decided that Washington state has a lot more farmland than I previously thought. Don't get me wrong, there's all kinds of big beautiful forests and mountains covered with tall evergreens. But at least here on the island, there's a lot of farmland. 

Actually, I think I need to clarify. There's a lot of FARMING ... not necessarily a lot of farmland. Yeaaaaaa most people just turn their normal homes and yards into makeshift farms. They fence off a big section and put in it whatever tickles their farmer fancy: horses, ducks ... chickens are a popular selection. Everybody and their brother have chickens scratching around their yards. So, in the event of an apocalyptic disaster, us Washingtonians can probably sustain ourselves on eggs. :) But I digress ...

A lady down the road was crazy enough to purchase eight geese. Those things run all over her front yard with their wings up and their heads down hissing and honking at whoever goes by. I actually spoke with her the other day and she warned me that Fin should not get within a few feet of the fence because the geese would actually stick their necks through the fence and bite! Pleasant little critters. 

So the upside to all this "farming" is that it's very entertaining for my two-year-old. 
We left our house this morning and went for just a short two-mile walk. Within this two-mile span we saw all sorts of animals: the cuddly geese, ducks, chickens, dogs (of course), 2 llamas, 9 horses and 11 cows. We also heard a rooster. ;) Cockadoodledoo. 

 All this farming (some legit, but most just backyard barnyards) made for a very eventful walk! Fin's requests to get "OUT! OUT!" were drastically reduced. It was wonderful and very relaxing (as relaxing as a walk with two little ones can be). I will need to make it a point to find walking loops that have plenty of these "farms." :) 

1 comment:

  1. all that barnyard life must be so fun for fin! awesome! and on a funny note, as a kid we lived in the boonies and had a pond across the "street" (gravel road) where geese came and went depending on the season. we had to walk by said pond every day to get to the bus stop. said geese chased me, the youngest/smallest/slowest ALL THE TIME and terrorized me. still brings my sisters to tears (from laughing) thinking about it. a mi no me gusta GEESE! ;)

    ReplyDelete