Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Noche Andalusi Jerez!

Last night after our pescado y mariscos we headed to "Noche Andalusi Jerez." I had managed to decipher enough Spanish in the local "things to do" guide for the month of June to know that this concert would feature flamenco guitarists, singers, dancers and other Andalusian style music/instruments.

I was a BIT concerned we wouldn't find the place, but I got us close using GPS and then we just asked the locals. I stopped one woman dressed in black lace who had no clue what I was talking about. After we had moved on, looking for more help, Matt informed me that she was a prostitute. "How do you know? Maybe she just dresses like one," I said.

Anyway, we finally found the place! A renovated old church that is now used for concerts, exhibits, shows...etc.It was CLEARLY marked, and easy to find like all other things in Spain... NOT! ;) Well, the good news is we had plenty of time to spare since it seems the Spanish like to start promptly 30 minutes late.

The show was FANTASTIC. The setting was small and intimate, the musicians were superb, the vocalists were wonderful, and the dancers were beautiful. I couldn't fit all the performers in the picture in one shot! Oh, and I had NO idea clapping was such a KEY instrument here. No joke, they had two guys on stage whose roles were SOLELY to clap and shout things at random times. It was key to the performance. I apologize for not getting a shot of the clappers. I was enjoying it MUCH too much.
It all could have ONLY been better if the dancers were topless. Oh wait, I didn't say that, MATT did. Just another romantic night out with the hubster. ;)

After the show we stopped briefly in a small plaza to sit outside and enjoy what the bartender claimed to be: "the BEST mojito in town." I'm going to have to sample all of Jerez's mojitos to be sure, but it was a DANG good mojito.

What a lovely night!

No comments:

Post a Comment