Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

POD "Abuela Maria"


The photo of the day is is a picture of my beautiful spanish partner, Rocio and her kind Abuela (grandmother) Maria.

Rocio and I often see Abuela out and about, carefully making her way down the narrow busy streets, or enjoying some conversation with family and friends outside the bar across the street from her casa. Today is a pretty warm day (mid nineties) and as Rocio and I rounded the corner onto Charco, (Rota's most famous street and the home of Abuela Maria) we saw Abuela taking a break in the shade leaning against one of the buildings. She was carrying a couple bags of groceries and such, so Rocio quickly told her in Spanish that we were going to carry them and help her back to her home. (Only another block or so down, but we knew she'd appreciate the help!) Abuela only put up a small fight, but then handed Rocio the groceries and latched onto my arm. :) I told Ro that it is MUCH too hot in spain for her grandmother to be walking around in the sun in full black. Rocio says that she's never known her grandmother to wear anything but black. Thirty years ago when her husband died, she started wearing black and she's worn it ever since. That to me, is incredible.

As was the last time I visited Abuela, she told Rocio (in spanish of course) to show me around her house. It amazes me how different she lives than many in the US live, so I was more than happy to look again! Just a side note, because I still can't get over how cute she is. The last time I saw Abuela Maria, we were standing in the street just outside the adorable entryway to her home, when a couple (clearly tourists) walked past us and into her patio! "ROCIO, ROCIO, tell your grandmother that someone just went into her house."
"My grandmother says: That's okay, they think my home is pretty. They want to take pictures." :)

Well, today I asked if I could take a photo. Abuela said I could take as many as I wanted of her home, but none of her because she was too "ugly" for pictures. Abuela... you couldn't be cuter! Needless to say, she caved, and I got a picture of Grandma & Rocio in the "living room/patio" of her beautiful old, Rota home.

1 comment: