Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

POD "Africa-Bound Mateo"


Later this afternoon my hubadub leaves me for 11 days. He's headed with 3 other Navy officers on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to South Africa for the World Cup. Tonight he catches a short Ryan Air flight to England and he spends two nights there. (Yes, all he's taking is that ONE carry on bag. Gotta love Ryan air!) Then, they'll all be hopping on a direct flight to Johannesburg, South Africa. They'll be seeing USA versus England, as well as USA versus Slovenia??? I forget who the second game is against. I mean, it doesn't get much better than seeing USA versus England, does it? Although, Matt will have to keep an eye out for any Revolutionary War bitterness. I don't need him getting into any matches with a bloody English bloke.

In between the games, and throughout the rest of their stay, the guys will be staying in various locations and visiting other areas like Mozambique, Lesotho, Botswana...etc. I believe some of the nights will even be spent sleeping in HUTS??? (No thanks. I'll take my cozy bed here in Espana.) They'll be having a nosebleed brew at Africa's highest pub and visiting the crater of life where some scientists claim the first life began. I think they mean like the little one-celled critters. Aren't those called amoebas or something? See, this is why i'm not going on this trip. I'd be like... "Nice crack in the ground... okay.... now what can we eat?!"

No, but in all seriousness, as I helped him get packed last night I couldn't help but have mixed feelings. First of all, I am SO happy that he gets to go do something SO amazing when he asks for SO little for himself. He more than deserves it. Not to mention, i'm going to have a MEAN staycation here while he's gone! ;) On the other hand, this trip is "a bucket-list" kind of trip. Seeing the World Cup, let alone seeing it for the first time on African soil, is a dream for Matt; something he always hoped he'd do someday. To not be able to SHARE that experience with him... to miss out on his excitement... is a bit of a bummer.

ALAS, I will make the best of my staycation and I will keep you updated on all the fun stuff he's up to when I DO hear from him (pretty sure most of the huts are without telephone). ;) When he gets back, there will be ALL SORTS of fabulous pictures and stories to share! Be SAFE and Hasta Luego, Mateo.

1 comment:

  1. What an AMAZING opportunity!!! I would love to see a World Cup game. We saw the USA play Guatemala for World Cup qualification and it was awesome. Tell him to have a wonderful time and be safe for us!!! And think of us during the game!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete