Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Finished Nursery :)

I am SO excited to FINALLY be sharing the photos of our Nursery make-over! What started as a cold, white, empty room is now a warm inviting nook! :) Matt and I had a lot of fun making this place special, but I did feel it was truly important to make the space ... well... happy. Not just for the psyche of our lil man, but also for me! I'm going to be spending a lot of time in that room, so I'm thrilled it's feeling so cozy. In fact, just now, I took advantage of my insomnia and decided, for the first time, to scope out what the finished room looked like in the wee small hours of the morning. :) Of course, I took some photos for you. BUT, I don't want to get ahead of myself. Let's start from the beginning.

We started the transformation in early April. Matt's first task of putting together the dresser was done, (used in these photos as a prep table!) and it was time to get started painting! Here are some photos of us setting up and getting ready to start. Side note: We were a bit nervous that our crazy idea of painting the ceiling was going to be a bust... but we were brave... and went with it! Here's the stark room before we got started! (You can click on any photo to enlarge it!)
Matt starting the measuring and taping.
And now for the paint test. Wait a minute... that doesn't look navy blue. That looks PURPLE! Our first setback! We had to wait for 3 different coats to dry in our little "test area" just to make sure we were going to be okay with this strange shade of purpley-blue. A day later, we decided with all the different shades of blue and purple we were going to have in the room, the color was going to be okay. :)

And so we got started! Well, atleast Matt did anyway. I erred on the cautious side, avoiding the paint fumes. :)
I couldn't beleive we were finally off and running! While Matt began slaving away, at 24 weeks, I shot our first ever video message to our baby.



Matt worked so hard!
Almost finished!
Ceiling COMPLETE! And our crazy idea was a success! WE LOVED it!
And so, the finished ceiling sat for over a month while we anxiously awaited the shipment of our crib and various other baby supplies. Finally, around mid May, we had a nursery! There were still some finishing touches that we needed (You know, like a mattress!) and other fun decorative gifts that wouldn't come until later, but all the main items were in place!
I just love the wall decals we picked out together off Etsy and Ebay!
I was also very excited to find the perfect place to display a very special nursery room item: Matt's very own tattered and worn baby blankie! :) It's now safe on display under the glass of the table. :)
Again, we waited over a month, and just yesterday, I decided now that the nursery was TRULY complete (Only awaiting the beautiful handmade quilt to come from our dear friend Shelley!) I needed to take a video tour. :) So here it is! Yes, it's 8 minutes long, but it's not just the nursery. You get a 36 1/2 week belly shot too!


As I told you earlier, I awoke with a bout of insomnia this morning and finally, at 5 AM, decided to just get up for the day. Little did I know, this would be my opportunity to creep into the nursery and take some "sleepy" photos. Still very dark outside, while Matt and Sultan snoozed away in the next room, Takoda and I clicked on the nightlights and enjoyed some peace and quiet. I just couldn't believe how cozy it felt all lit up with his solar system of stars. Yeah, there will be many sleepless nights, but how amazing is it going to be snuggling up in the corner of this room, gently rocking him back and forth while he snoozes and makes his cute little baby noises?



Well baby boy, the nursery is finished, and we are ready for you. We can't wait for you to get here. :)

1 comment: