Puget Sound Sunset

Puget Sound Sunset

Friday, July 1, 2011

INTRUDER!!!

After a long day and evening on my feet cleaning, organizing and then enjoying the Fourth of July festivities here on base (all without a nap, mind you)... I was MORE than ready for bed. So just after midnight, feet throbbing and back aching, I awkwardly flopped into bed and readied myself for a long evening of sleep. (Minus bathroom breaks. Remember, I AM nearly 37 weeks pregnant.)

What I was NOT prepared for was to be awoken some time after 2 AM by a very excited husband. "What's the matter," I asked sleepily as he flipped the covers back and pulled away the pillow I had comfortably wedged between my knees.
"The boys found a little critter in the yard... you have to come see," he whispered. "Hurry up!"

... "Seriously?"

Soooooooo, I made him get me my robe and I shuffled to the backyard where the dogs were awaiting our arrival. They were circled around a small lump at the side of the lawn. As I groggily approached the lump, I thought this was Matt's idea of some sort of strange joke. It was one of the dogs toys. Really? This is what you woke me for? Was that the joke? That the excited and curious dogs were now convinced their toy had come to life? Funny. Just not 2am-wake up-call funny.

Upon further inspection, and a closer examination (I'm practically blind without my contacts) I realized this was no toy.
I've provided a picture of the dogs toys as proof of the eerie resemblance.Remember, it was dark.

Apparently shortly before he work me, Matt was alerted by excited, woofing dogs that they had found something "of interest" on the lawn. He scoped out the scene and realized that this find was "wake-pregnant-wife" worthy. This poor critter waddled into the WRONG yard, but I must say, the dogs were very good about keeping their distance and not poking and prodding too much at the odd creature that had now curled itself into a protective ball. We shot a few photos of Koda keeping watch over his new friend. Yes, it was late and Koda was sleepy, but he wasn't sleeping on duty. He was just smart enough to shut his eyes every time the flash went off.

Poor little spiky bugger. Well, after a small photo shoot, I decided it was time to head back to bed. I asked Matt to promise he'd keep the dogs inside so the lil nugget would have a chance to sneak away in the night.

Oh, but it gets better. The dogs went inside, but Matt wanted me to stay up with him on some sort of covert wildlife photography session, laying in the dark on the back lawn, waiting for the hedgehog to uncurl and scamper off. He wanted to catch the little guy in action. At this point, I carefully broke the news to Matt that I didn't think I was up for it, wished him luck and headed back to bed.

Well, Matt DID stay up even later and did hold a small stakeout on the back lawn until the hog felt it was safe to wiggle himself back out of the ball and casually make his way back out of the yard. As hedgy "came out" Matt unfortunately realized he was staked out on the wrong end of the ball and didn't get the award-winning shot he was hoping for. AND, the kind man he is, rather than getting up to chase it, risking it balling itself back up, he let the hedgehog scamper off into the darkness. To freedom. Away from the strange place with the large, loud animals and annoying strobe light. :) Alas... here's the best shot he got.
It was a fun time... but I'll be happy when Matt has a son to wake up and show this kind of stuff. ;)

This morning, I decided to do a little research on our evening intruder. If you're interested in learning more, here it is:

The Algerian hedgehog is considered rare. Its habitat is restricted to the flat lands of the eastern Mediterranean coast where its numbers have been decimated by urban encroachment across the coastal plains, vehicles and dogs. The Algerian hedgehog was possibly introduced into the Spanish mainland from North Africa. It was certainly introduced into the Balearics, though I am unaware as to whether this was purposeful. It was more recently introduced in the Canaries.The Algerian hedgehog is slightly smaller and usually lighter than its European cousin - though in these photos, the Algerian is the darker of the two -many Spanish European hedgehogs are lighter. It's spikes are softer and can be almost comfortably held in your hand. Short of doing a full autopsy on its teeth, the best way of telling the two species apart is by the ears, which are far more prominent in the Algerian hedgehog and the lack of a widow's peak or "the spinefree 'parting' on the crown of the head" here. It also has a longer snout and longer legs, indicating that it walks more. Its other English name of vagrant hedgehog is presumably in reference to this.

1 comment:

  1. lol what a thing to wake up to hahaha.... i would be all for that! though, i'm sure not when i am as far along as you are!

    ReplyDelete